This page offers some useful links for monitoring high impact precipitation across the United States.
Current Precipitation Conditions
- Current Mesoscale Precipitation Discussions (MPDs)– NOAA’s NWS
- High-resolution U.S. NEXRAD radar reflectivity loop (NOAA/NWS)
- Experimental Local Storm Reports Google Maps Display (San Diego, CA NWS)
- NASA’s Tropical Rainfall Mesasuring Mission (TRMM) – Current Heavy Rain Estimates from Real-Time TRMM Multi-Satellite Precipitation Analysis (Worldwide)
- Blended Total Precipitable Water (TPW) animation for monitoring “Atmospheric Rivers” – NOAA/NESDIS
- GOES-West / GOES-East RAMSDIS Online – GOES-East and GOES-West 1, 4, 16 and Full Disk Satellite imagery, plus 2 week archive!
- Interactive surface weather maps
- Storm cloud tops and movement – NOAA
- USGS WaterAlert – E-mail or text messages when certain user-defined flood thresholds are exceeded
- SpotWX – Outstanding forecast meteograms
- Tropical Tidbits – Fantastic animations of various numerical weather forecasts
- Current Excessive Rainfall Forecasts – NOAA’s NWS
- Quantitative Precipitation Forecasts – NOAA’s Weather Prediction Center
- U.S. Hazards Outlook – NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center
- Metropolitan Meteograms – COLA and IGES
- NCEP SREF Plume Viewer – Storm Prediction Center (NOAA)
- Forecast Meteogram Generator (Iowa State University) – Select station, then select “Visualize Data!”
- Cooperative Institute for Precipitation Systems (CIPS) Historical Analog Guidance – Saint Louis University
- Climate Prediction Center – NOAA
Historical Precipitation Data
- AHPS Precipitation Analysis – National Weather Service
- FLASH Flood Observation Database – U.S. Flash Flood Database
- Daily Precipitation Maps from PRISM (Oregon State University)
- National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center – National maps of Snow-related elements, including non-snow precipitation
- Monthly and daily precipitation – PRISM Climate Group at Oregon State University
- The largest provider of daily precipitation observations in the United States – CoCoRaHS
Email us other suggestions!
We provide these links as-is and do not endorse them.