We are currently seeking to fill the following position:
- Mid-level Programmer/IT Specialist
|TITLE: Mid-level Programmer/IT Specialist||SALARY: Starting at $65k-$85k and commensurate with knowledge, skills, and experience||POSTING DATE:
May 10, 2017
Fort Collins, Colorado
|HOURS PER WEEK:
Be part of a rapidly growing meteorological engineering company. We are seeking a Programmer/IT Specialist to create and maintain software for applications using meteorological and climatological data in the Linux environment as well as manage our IT infrastructure. This position will report to our headquarters in Fort Collins, CO. We are seeking a talented, motivated individual to help us expand our expertise in web-based Graphical User Interfaces (GUI), processing of big data (e.g., netCDF, GRIB, HDF5, etc.), and streamlining of processes for major projects. This position will focus on coding, scripting, and IT responsibilities; therefore, applicants should have excellent skills in these areas. We are seeking a responsible and motivated individual to become part of our small, but active and exciting team of ten professionals, where your impact will be highly appreciated, realized, and valued. There is high potential for a quality, committed, long-term employee in this position to grow and evolve into a higher level position.
Duties and responsibilities
- Linux and Windows IT support.
- Manage and maintain software repository, backups, and cloud computing configurations
- Manage, maintain and develop large weather/climate-related object-relational databases
- Design and develop scripts/programs as well as optimize existing scripts/programs to interact with databases for supporting detailed precipitation analyses and hydrologic analyses in both real-time and post-processing environments
- Reformat and integrate meteorological data into databases
- Develop web-based architectures for providing interactive web services to clients
- Help optimize our use of Cloud (AWS) computing
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, meteorology, atmospheric science, engineering or related field
- Minimum 3 years’ professional experience with Linux environment or 5 years total experience
- Minimum 2 years’ professional experience of computer programming or 5 years total experience
- Strong understanding of Linux and Windows software installations and basic IT
- Knowledge and experience of:
- Shell scripting and Perl
- FORTRAN and/or C
- Familiarity with Git for code management
- Processing large datasets in meteorological formats using Perl, Python, R, IDL, NCL or other software
- General familiarity with databases, particularly PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Willingness to address occasionally critical computer software issues after hours
- Effective time management and prioritization skills and ability to react to critical issues quickly and efficiently
- Devoted, honest and willing to work hard among a small, rapidly growing business environment
- Basic understanding or and working experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience with web-based tools and user interfaces (R Shiny, Bokeh, or similar )
- Ability to develop mobile applications
- Experience using Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Experience with Unidata Local Data Manager (LDM)
- Visual Basic .NET (VB.NET)
MetStat is a specialized meteorological engineering company headquartered in Fort Collins, Colorado. We are committed meteorological engineers and leaders in detailed precipitation analysis, real-time gauge-adjusted radar rainfall products, weather frequency analysis, weather event reconstructions, forensic meteorology and the spatial mapping of weather and climate variables. Since 1994, we have provided accurate, innovative and detailed meteorological and hydrometeorological information to the private and public sectors. Our comprehensive understanding of precipitation has allowed us to develop reliable techniques to blend weather radar data together with observed precipitation data to reconstruct precipitation events to support a rapidly growing clientele. We are seeking a passionate individual who wants to be part of a small, but exciting and rapidly growing business where the work will be challenging, but rewarding. We offer a great benefit package, including a SIMPLE IRA, up to four weeks of PTO and flexible work hours. Become part of our small, but active and exciting team of young professionals, where your impact will be highly appreciated and recognized.
To be considered, only serious and qualified applicants must mail a cover letter, resume and references to MetStat or email them to directly to Senior Meteorologist Katie Ward at email@example.com. Please reference posting number and job title in the email subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest and patience while we respond given we do not have a human resources department. As a condition of employment, this position is subject to the successful completion of pre-employment reference checks. Please include your references and anticipated salary requirements. MetStat is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. Initial phone interviews will be conducted for top candidates followed by face-to-face interviews.